Sunday 30 December 2012

Nearly end of year - Rambling Post


So I have been pretty quiet the past few weeks. As you can imagine Christmas means I am pretty busy with family stuff and plenty of eating. For Christmas I got a new laptop. A dell XPS 15 and it is pretty nice. For now I have stuck with window 8 rather than installing Linux on it as most of the tools I use are cross platform and I would like to spend some time with window 8 just to get used to it.

It does mean I have spent some time setting up my tool chain again. Eclipse and android are not yet installed but I spent some time with emacs. Then strangely enough I spend some time setting up vim. Sort of  to compare both environments for coding CoffeeScript in. For now vim seems to be winning even though there is a lot the I like in emacs. I seem to find the navigation around a buffer easier in vim compared with emacs. Also getting vim set up for coding in CoffeeScript took quite a bit less time than getting emacs set up. In the long run not a big deal. Now being fairly familiar with both I imagine I will flip between the two of them on a whim. OrgMode is still great.

My mind is turning to projects I wish to develop. Yes I am planning again and that never works out that well. It usually means I take on too much.

First of all the past month or so has been fun just coding up what I want so I don't want that to stop but flipping between things and running with every crazy idea I have means I never actually get anything done. I like to complete things.

In previous posts I mention feeling a bit burned out. That culminated with a flu like cold just before Christmas. I was hit much worse than my family and spend 3 days pretty much asleep and quite a few days after that sleeping 10-12 hours a day. I think it is fair to say I caught up with any sleep deprivation I may have had. A bonus is when I am ill I can't face coffee. Even now my caffeine intake is greatly reduced meaning I now sleep like a baby.

So with all this in mind I am feeling recovered and wanting to take on some projects that I will actually release. Looking at where I am at it seem I am enjoying the whole HTML5 thing so may as well continue that for a while and return to android later in the year.

I would like to continue with my little sprite editor. I am enjoying creating it and learning quite a bit. I am not sure it is going to be super useful to anyone but if it is fun I will continue. I may gradually it to CoffeeScript just so I only have to think about one language.

I also have a very incomplete gaming library and when I say incomplete I really mean it. So I am thinking that I will develop a few simple games to flesh it out. Game development is nice as it forces me out of my comfort zone of coding into the world of attempting to draw (usually badly) and thinking on making sure it is fun.

Ok this post is a bit of thinking while I write so I may decide on something else. Either way I want to have decided my course of my coding over the next few months by the time the new year starts.

Do excuse the slightly rambling post but I usually post a few thinking out loud blogs around this time of year.




No comments:

Post a Comment