Friday 11 January 2013

Onions are Escaping


Well I have been fairly busy over the past few days. I have published a game on my website. So yay! I will link to it in a while but for now you have to find your way there.

Why? Well there are couple of issues that make it not ready for prime time. First there is an issue of loading images. It is a case of me being a little bit stupid and forgetting to wait until the images are loaded. Sort of thing you only catch when you are pulling images off a server rather than you hard drive. I wondered what was going on and this morning as heading out to work the answer just appeared in my head. I am pretty sure it is correct.

Also I have not turned of the ability to select things, again a silly mistake on my part.

Finally there should be some google ads that don't appear to be there...

The first two are pretty important to me and I want to fix as soon as possible. Alas that means sometime over the weekend as it won't be happening tonight.

All this smacks of little mistakes as I get be into the groove of web stuff so to speak. I am glad I produced something small to get my brain back into it.

In other news I shifted my web hosting over to Small Orange rather than using google app-engine. Marblemice.com is just a static site so hosting it on the app-engine was kind of a strange thing to do although it was free. Small Orange is not the cheapest place but for a website with as few visitors as mine I only need their lowest tier which in absolute price is cheap, compared with others it is not for what you get. Their reputation on the web is what sold them to me. I don't mind paying a small amount in absolute terms to avoid hassle. Should I ever get to transferring more then 5Gb per month then that is a good problem to have.

The transfer went smoothly as you would expect for a site that consists of static pages.

My mind is slowly turning to the next game and I am beginning to jot down ideas and see what I can come up with. Well I have lots of idea but they need fleshing out and importantly they have to fit within the constraints of my artistic talent.

So my TODO list over the next week is
    1. Fix issues with game 1
    2. Do a pass over my engine to improve it
    3. Sketch out and decide on next game
    4. Investigate putting current game onto android.

I may have mentioned I returned to vim as my text editor. Well it is going really well, I miss a few things from emacs but work flow in gvim is really starting to grow on me. That is for CoffeeScript, I will be rushing to proper IDEs when I do C++ or Java. One of the reasons I started to use emacs is it feels so different from my day job and that makes it fun, GVim retains this feel. Not that my day job is bad but changing environments when at home is a good thing.

Title of this post refers to the name of the game I am just in the process of finishing. Just in case you are wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment