Tuesday 19 February 2013

Mid Feb '13 Update


Yep, it is another one of those rambling posts about what is going on in my programming life.

First up I decided to flip to a different simpler game. Why well not having used libgdx for a while I thought it would be nice to do something simpler to get a feel for it again  I am now working on a simple "chain reaction" game. Yep it is another clone :)

If I am being totally honest there is another reason for flipping. The game I was designing would be a lot easier to make if the Tiled support in libgdx was a lot better, This is being worked on at this very moment. It sort of makes sense to delay making that game until it lands in the code base. It is not like I am short of ideas for games.

I have been trying Eclim a little bit. I really wanted it to work out as I like living inside vim. It is almost there for me. It makes me a little sad to say it but it is not as smooth as using the default editor in eclipse.

I wrote a couple more paragraphs of complaints but sort of realised as I wrote them it is more likely that it is me who is at fault. I just don't know enough about vim/Eclim to have a rant about it.

I was sort of hoping it would work out of the box and have some commands like RunLastProject to make it really easy to use. Alas not what I could find. I am probably going to keep chipping away at it on and off and see if I can get something that resembles and good work flow.

There are stability problems with the embed vim in eclipse so I may wait for a newer version of Eclim. For now when I code in Java it will be in pure Eclipse, just as someone on google plus suggested to me when I mentioned Eclim.

I am still happily working on a little html5 sprite editor. I got to the stage of actually being able to draw on the screen. It is a fun little project and a nice distraction, when needed, from anything else going one :) Progress is very slow.

I also signed up to BitBucket. It is something I have been meaning to do for ages. No longer will my home projects be dumped on dropbox with not version control. BitBucket is free to individuals even for private repositories. My very limited use gives it five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment