Friday 15 February 2013

Wow it has been a little while since I posted.


To be honest it has been a bit of a slow period in terms of getting stuff done. Some family stuff popped up that derailed my productivity and I have not quite got back into the rhythm of things.

There has been a bit of progress but not much. For my next game I decided to jump ship in terms of technology and return to Java. Using Libgdx and Java will let me target a wider range of android devices and still partially target the web. I say partially as it uses webGL and there is a browser that holds out from implementing it.

The game has not progressed very far. The time I have had has gone mostly towards re-learning the api's that Libgdx provides. I admit some geekery as I have experimented with eclim, a sort of vim-eclipse bridge. I am not sure if I am that productive with it yet although I think this is more down to my vim set up not have had time to evolve to where I would like it to be.

I have not even installed NerdTree and that will probably be quite a nice thing to have installed when attempting use use eclim.

My other, usually lunchtime, project is I have sort of returned to the idea of an online sprite editor/pixel editor. When I say returned it really just started out as me trying to figure out how to get a simple application style layout working in html. That is a header, main display and a panel on the right. When the window is re-sized the main display absorbs the extra area.

Perhaps my brain is not working too well but that actually took a while to get right. I also wanted the side panel to be able to slide in and out. It now all looks quite smooth and before I knew it I was adding a canvas layer and thinking about making a pixel editor - again.

I attempted something similar last year but decided it was not worth the hassle when I realized I was going to have to transport the image up to a server just so you could download it. At that time I was not that interested in dealing with servers but now I suspect it would not be a big deal. Plus I think chrome and Firefox support a downloadable tag of some kind where you can specify the name of the file to be save without having to do a round trip.

For now this is kind of my part time project that is really just a learning exercise in trying to push as much as possible into css and html rather than relying of CoffeeScript and JQuery.

As an aside I have noticed that the more I blog the more productive I am. Is it causal or is it just a case of when I get productive I want to write about it? Either way I am starting to attach more importance to blogging as a tool to productivity. I guess this is the reason many people write a diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment