Sunday 20 January 2013

Side tracked into android app update

I have been a little side tracked into updating on of my apps I have for android. Posting to Facebook has not been working.

As Facebook recently published version 3 of their library I thought it was time to upgrade to that. It does look like that have put quite a bit of work into it which is nice. However for someone who just wants to send a bit of text to the user wall it is a bit of an overkill. If only they support the share some text intent.

The SDK is very much geared up to having the user log in and use that as their id in the app. If that is the sort of thing you want then the SDK is a huge improvement.

Anyway I eventually arrived at a solution that I was happy with and so will be putting out an update fairly soon. The funny thing is I think I had mis-configured something server side and with that fixed I think users will be able to post without the update. I am not 100% hence deciding to continue to do the update.

Dropping back into eclipse was a bit of an experience. When I was flipping between the debugger and the Java work-spaces I seemed to end up in .class files. Eclipse displays them as source files so you don't realise until you try to type and nothing happen as they are read only. I got caught by this a few times.

My eclipse Fu had definitely gone backwards in the past few months although some of the speed drop should be attributed to my new laptop with its slightly eclipse un-friendly keyboard layout. It is of course fine with vim. There is a vim plug in that uses a headless version of eclipse that I very nearly downloaded.

I am hoping get the updates published this week so I can refocus on releasing my latest little game to android. The porting part is done I just need to sit down draw some art and produce the APK.

My expectation is I start game 2 just before February. I am pretty much have the outline of the game sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment